Image result for music promotions on instagram
In 1959 , C.P. Snow gives a lecture that introduces the idea of two cultures. In “Lecture Part 1” Vesna explains that the original concept was about the two cultures between the rich and poor but then turned into art & science. The relationship between art & science has become relatively closer knitted.Art & science are becoming more and more dependent on each other than ever before. In my opinion, art is dependent on science because of technology.  Technology is science and a lot of artistic things created today, need a social media platform for marketing, which can only be possible through the usage of technology which is science based. Science depends on art for the idea of creativity. In the article “On creativity”,  Bohm says that scientists should be in creative mode when trying to innovate new technology. Art allows your mind to expand and develop creativeness which is essential to creating new technology.




I relate to the relationship between two cultures because of my identity. The two cultures I come from greatly depend on each other , specifically for political reasons. For example, as a black woman in America, I am able to acknowledge the oppression of black people and as an American, I can help bring awareness and make a change. However, without being black, it would be very challenging to understand and acknowledge black oppression and also to try and fix.
Image result for different culturesBeing born and growing up in America , it has always been essential for me to understand that I am of three cultures , the African culture , the American culture , and a third culture which is the hyphen between African-American. That hyphens is me. Kevin refers to “ Third Culture”  as being the offspring. I am the offspring of Africa and America. Victoria Vesna refers to a third culture as “ being in between”.  This defines me perfectly because although I am in between which makes me the mixture of cultures, I am my own culture because I am a mix.  Although these  places are completely different, they balance me out and make me who I am today.


These new ideas and perspectives benefit me as well as other students because they allow us to be open-minded. Up until the start of the Desma 9 course, I never really thought about the idea of two cultures and how much impact two cultures have when they come together to create greater things.



Bohm, D. "On Creativity." JSTOR. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Oct. 2013.
Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001)
Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. New York: Cambridge UP, 1959. Print.
Vesna, Victoria. “ Lecture Week 1 Part 1” (2017)
Kelly, Kevin. "The Third Culture." The Third Culture. N.p., n.d. Web. Feb. 1998








Comments

Popular posts from this blog